Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Know-Nothing Party

Following my appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday, I have changed my political party membership to the Know-Nothing Party. Shout out to Mr. Curro and AP US History!

Basically, no news. The oncologist is unable to determine the stage of my cancer because I have not yet had the diagnostic tests that would allow him to do so. These tests include blood work which looks for certain tumor markers and CT/PET scans. Even though he was unable to determine the stage, he did give me a breakdown of possible treatments subjective to what stage my cancer.

In the event that my cancer is anything higher (read: worse) than Stage 1, I will have to do several cycles of chemotherapy. This would be bad, and not just for my hairline. The biggest concern of chemotherapy is the effect it would have on “lefty”. There is a very good chance that undergoing chemotherapy would render me infertile. No body wants this.

Now, if I'm lucky enough to only have stage 1 cancer, meaning the cancer had not spread beyond the testicle, then there are three options. First of all, know that the doctor's opinion as to what stage is still an opinion. Even if the blood work and CT scans suggest stage 1, they are not fool proof. With that in mind, there are three treatment options. Those treatment options are (1) observation, (2) 2 cycles chemotherapy, or (3) further surgery. Given the problems with chemo, and the fact that no body wants a surgeon digging around their abdomen to remove lymph nodes, I would likely choose observation. Observation involves monthly blood tests and CT scans every three months. It would be annoying, but it would help catch a relapse early.

Speaking of annoying, I STILL haven't had the damn scans. Apparently, the insurance has to authorize the scans before I have them. I may not know what stage cancer I have for another week to two weeks. I don't know if I can take that much waiting. To make things worse, I am trying to get into the best oncologist in Orange County for a consultation and second opinion. This doctor has all the diagnostic equipment on site, so it would really speed up the process of getting results. The only problem is that this doctor won't schedule an appointment until he has a chance to review my medical records, and the urologist is delaying sending my medical records. No matter what option I pursue to get the diagnostic tests, it would seem that I am doomed to an interminable wait.

Thanks to everyone who has messaged, emailed, or called in the last couple of days. I really apologize for not getting back to everyone. I have just been overwhelmed with well-wishers. Your love, prayers, good vibes, and positive thinking is very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment